Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yummy Kabocha Squash!!

What fun it is to experience food fresh from the garden. No question as to where it came from!!!

I find when we taste the goodness mother earth provides for us in it's most natural and simple form I get all giddy inside. I close my eyes and really connect with the flavors that are dancing on my tongue.

The KABOCHA Squash, is one of those vegetables that stands wonderfully alone because of it's distinct sweetness. It can be baked, stuffed, steamed or grated and added to cookies! NOW is the time to have some fun with your winter squash.

With the abundance left over from Sunday's sampling, I decided to make a soup, (and boy was that a great decision considering today's weather). Since I find it hard to follow recipes, I created something that enhanced this already tasty squash without measurements, but I will share and be as close as possible to the outcome that I enjoyed.

Kabocha & Coconut Soup
1/2 roasted kabocha squash, cut into chunk size pieces, outside skin removed
2 Tbspns olive oil
1 medium size bulb shallot, finely diced
32 oz vegetable stock
1 tsp of turmeric or curry powder
salt & pepper to taste
4 oz coconut milk

(I would recommend roasting the whole squash, saving the other half for another recipe or freezing it until ready to use.)

Put olive oil into dutch oven pot, add shallots, medium heat. Saute shallots to a caramel color.

Add squash to shallots, warming up squash. Add 2 cups stock to shallot/squash mixture, salt/pepper to taste & add turmeric or curry, can lower heat. Add 1 more cup of stock until consistency of pudding. Remove from heat. Put mixture into blender or use immersion blender. Mix until smooth consistency. Add coconut milk to pot. Put mixture back into pot if using standing blender. Stir to combine. I like this soup thick, you'll notice 1 cup of stock left over, so I adjust the thickness with my stock to my liking. Bring back to temperature.

Serves 4

Remember to always have fun!!


Pamm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents of this site, text and photography, are copyrighted 2009 through 2017 by David King - permission to use must be requested and given in writing.