Search This Blog

Friday, August 17, 2012

Field Trip to the LA River

Tomorrow is our field trip to the LA River.  We are going to a place on the river near Glendale.  The main reason to spend this time at the river is to acquaint ourselves with this tremendous resource that has been alternately abused and neglected; sometimes abused with neglect, sometimes just abused and sometimes just neglected.  Discussions abound about what to do with the river and I hope we take a few minutes to speculate about what the LA River could be like and how it could be a resource again; preferably ecologically so.

The address is 3900 Chevy Chase Drive, Los Angeles, 90039.


View Larger Map  

I have never been here before, so I will try to be early and available by phone to guide anyone in who might get lost; you have my cell phone.  (NB, if you've ever received an email from me, it's in my signature.)

For those of you interested in n afternoon activities, there is the SLOLA meeting at 2:30 - held in The Learning Garden; you've all been there so no map is required.  Abbreviated bios of the two speakers are, as follows:

Jeffrey Smith, Director, Institute for Responsible Technology, and the leading consumer advocate promoting healthier non-GMO choices; author of the world's bestselling and #1 rated book on the health dangers of GMOs, Seeds of Deception.

Tom Newmark, Board Member, Greenpeace, Inc. USA. He is a founder of Sacred Seeds, a sanctuary in Costa Rica dedicated to conserving medicinal plants across the globe. He lives in Costa Rica and we are privileged to have him join Jeffrey Smith.

I promised in class to post the trailer to Jeffrey Smith's movie.  This is it here: 



If, on the other hand, you haven't had enough of me, I'm speaking at another event in support of National Honey Bee Awareness Day:




Located in the Band shell (someone asked me where the 'clamshell' was) behind the LA Library at Corinth and Santa Monica Boulevard, there is ample parking in large lots to the south and UCLA Extension Gardening & Horticulture will be there raffling one free admission to my Fall course.  

Map here:  

View Larger Map

Orchid and I will see you in the morning!  


david




No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents of this site, text and photography, are copyrighted 2009 through 2017 by David King - permission to use must be requested and given in writing.